A good rest is our main objective. There are various moments in our life when we do not rest properly or it is difficult to fall asleep. The pregnancy is one of these moments, in the case of women. That is why in M Orfeo we have prepared a post with the best pregnancy pillow for small bed. With the intention that they serve as advice and help for all pregnant women who have difficulty falling asleep. Since a good rest is essential for life and in this case more.
Sleep problems in pregnancy
When a woman is pregnant she begins to experience countless changes in her body. The most notable is the increased volume of the abdomen. Hormonal changes, weight gain, and body volume, moods, etc., often cause difficulties when it comes to rest. During pregnancy, rest is essential for the development of the baby, since it is during this period when they develop their greatest activity. Among the main problems that can cause rest is not adequate we highlight:
- Discomfort in the abdomen and back produced by mild abdominal pain due to the readjustment of the uterus for the development of the baby. They also occur in the last weeks of pregnancy due to the size of the baby and the limited space available. Also, the posture adopted throughout the day, the weight of the body, and the posture when sleeping can cause back pain.
- Baby movements: When our little one moves inside the tummy it is a wonderful sensation. However, sometimes and especially when the pregnancy is more advanced, it can cause certain discomforts. Kicks or headbutts that sometimes force you to get up to try to make room for him to move without affecting you so much. When the baby is not yet in place and is moving freely, sometimes, it is crossed, a position that causes discomfort in the kidneys and lateral abdomen. When there is less space left, the movements are stronger and can sometimes be somewhat uncomfortable.
- The volume of the belly: The belly increases in size, the weight that the body has to support daily becomes noticeable. Cramps, back pain, knees, tired legs, etc. may appear. When these pains appear at bedtime they are really annoying.
- Acidity: When the pregnancy is advanced, in some cases, heartburn usually appears. It usually leaves once it has given birth, but while it is somewhat annoying. The best thing if you suffer from heartburn is to sleep elevated and on the left side, to avoid reflux.
- Cramps: They usually occur due to the weight that the body must support throughout the day. Many hours of standing, cause that at the moment of relaxing appear some cramps in the legs, heaviness or discomfort. Sleeping with your legs up or with a pillow between your legs helps.
Sleeping is a world apart, there is a great variety of mattresses, preferences with sheets and bedding. It is quite a ritual that we do when we go to rest, but the most curious thing is that there is no universal way to sleep. There are those who sleep alone, accompanied, as a family, on a boat, on a bench, futon, etc. And if we look at it, not all of us adopt the same postures when sleeping, the most common are:
This pose helps to avoid muscle aches. Babies are recommended to be placed on their backs to prevent sudden death. However, it is not a very suitable position for people with a tendency to snore, if you have a cold, suffer from heartburn problems, or if you are pregnant.
Sleeping on your back during pregnancy can cause problems falling asleep. Since when sleeping on the back, the weight falls directly on the back, the intestines, and the vena cava, which can lead to serious problems. In addition to generating digestive problems, constipation and it is not suitable for the baby.
It is one of the postures that allows more variations at bedtime: totally face down, holding the pillow, on top of the pillow, etc. When you have back pain, it is advisable to sleep on your stomach and on a pillow. It is the least advisable sleeping position because it puts a lot of pressure on muscles and joints.
According to a study published by the Journal of Neuroscience, sleeping on your side reduces your risk of neuronal disease. It also reduces acidity and improves the quality of sleep and rest in pregnancy.